What You Need
2 Butternut Squashes, halved lengthwise
1/2 onion, sliced
1 zucchini, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
4 sausages (I used Aidells pineapple & bacon chicken sausage), sliced into rounds
Salt & Pepper
What You Need To Do
1. Scoop out the seeds from the butternut squash, lightly drizzle with olive oil and roast in a 425 degree oven for about 40 minutes – or until the squash becomes soft.
2. While the squash is roasting, add some oil to a saute pan and cook the onion until it’s brown and caramelized.
3. Add the zucchini and sausage and cook thoroughly. Set aside.
4. When the squash is cooked, scoop out the center and add the squash to the saute pan on medium heat.
5. Add water to thin the mixture slightly.
6. Scoop the incorporated mixture back into the butternut shells and broil for 15 minutes, or until the top browns.
• The size of your squash will determine the length of time it will need to be roasted. Check frequently with a fork to avoid overcooking – it will go back in the oven after roasting.
• When you add water after the butternut squash goes into the saute pan, add only enough to make the mixture thick enough that it still sticks to the spoon.
• Keep a close eye on your squashes when they’re in the broiler to avoid burning the top.