What You Need
1 Large eggplant
1/2 Pound ground pork
1 Jar marinara (or 12-16 ounces of homemade sauce)
Large baking dish
What You Need To Do
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brown the pork and drain the fat.
3. Slice eggplant about 1/4 inch thick, keeping similar sized slices in pairs.
4. Put the first layer of eggplant in the dish.
5. Evenly distribute the ground pork over the first layer of eggplant.
6. Drizzle some sauce on top of the pork, but reserve most of it for the end.
7. Top with a second layer of eggplant.
8. Pour the remaining sauce all over the stacks, making sure it covers every piece.
9. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until eggplant is fork-tender.
10. Let it rest for about 15 minutes before serving.
11. Plate and top with Italian seasoning.
• The wider your eggplant, the larger your dish will need to be.
• You can make this more like a casserole by filling in any holes with pieces of eggplant. They won’t come out like stacks, but it will be just as tasty.
• If you want the stacks to stay together, be sure the dish has had enough time to set after taking it out of the oven.
• The bulk of the flavor comes from your choice of sauce. Don’t skimp on the marinara.
• This can be made with any protein of your choosing, or vegetarian. Calories will be different based on what you choose.
Serves 3, approximately 348 calories per serving